January 29, 2021
In light of today’s announcement by the Prime Minister that Canada’s main airlines are suspending flights between the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada between Jan 31 and April 30, as well as testing and quarantine measures for passengers of international flights coming into Canada, here’s what you need to know:
- Coverage is not available for costs incurred when quarantined in Canada (regardless of test result). Quarantine that is generally mandated by a government/public authority is excluded.
- Coverage is not available under the trip interruption benefit, as it only offers coverage when the travel advisory has been changed from a Level 3 (avoid non-essential travel) to a Level 4 (avoid all travel).
- Refunds are available as follows:
- When the request for refund is received BEFORE the policy’s effective date, a full refund is available.
- When travel hasn’t taken place and the request for refund is received AFTER the policy’s effective date, a full refund is available within 10 days of the application date.
Emergency Medical Insurance
Refunds are available as follows:
- Single Trip - If you’ve returned early from your trip, a Travel Insurance Voucher or refund is available for the unused number of days on the emergency medical policy, as long as you don’t claim or have any intention of claiming on the policy.
- Multi Trip Annual - If you have travelled on the annual policy, refunds are not available. However, if you bought an extension to the Multi Trip Annual policy (for example, added an extra week to a 10-day annual policy trip length), a partial refund or a Travel Insurance Voucher may be available.
Visitors to Canada & Student Insurance
- While visitors to Canada and international students are still covered for COVID-19 emergency medical expenses, Visitors to Canada Insurance and Student Insurance do not offer coverage for quarantine expenses.
Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance
- Effective immediately, Cancel for Any Reason optional add-on isn’t available for purchase.
- If Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance was purchased
- Before March 4, 2020: coverage is available.
- On or after March 4, 2020: COVID-19 was recognized as a known circumstance. With that in mind, quarantine costs in Canada and schedule changes are not covered, due to COVID-19.