Back to Top

FAQs - COVID-19: Claims

Can I come in person to submit my claim?

To ensure public health and safety, effective March 16, 2020, Claims at TuGo’s offices are closed to the public. To make a claim, please submit online, call 1-800-663-0399 or email

I am an unvaccinated traveller. What happens if I’m hospitalized for a medical emergency unrelated to COVID-19, but I contract COVID-19 while in the hospital? Will the medical expenses be covered under the Emergency Medical Insurance plan or the COVID-19 Insurance - Unvaccinated plan?

Eligible expenses related your Emergency Medical Worldwide or Excluding USA Insurance would be covered up to the policy limit. If you needed to purchase the COVID-19 Insurance – Unvaccinated plan, you’d have coverage up to $1 million.

If I bought Emergency Medical Insurance and COVID-19 Insurance before June 22, 2021, and need to make a claim now, do I need to do anything differently?

No, you’ll follow our usual process to make a claim.

Can I make a Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption claim in relation to COVID-19?

A Canadian government travel advisory is a covered risk for Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption polices. If you’re submitting a Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claim due to a Canadian government travel advisory related to COVID-19, coverage must have been purchased before March 4, 2020 and before any travel advisory went into effect. The advisory must still be in effect on your scheduled departure date or in the 7 days prior, if there was no avoid all or non-essential travel advisory in place at the time the policy was purchased or the trip was booked.

Should I open a claim even if my flight hasn’t been cancelled or rescheduled yet?

Most travel-related companies are offering to reschedule flights, provide future credits or refunds.

Coverage is only available for non-refundable, prepaid expenses or change fees. If you choose to accept a future travel credit, we won’t reimburse this portion of the expenses. If you cancel a future travel credit, we will reimburse the eligible expenses, as long as you provide proof that the credit has been cancelled.


  • My cruise was cancelled, and the cruise line issued me a future cruise credit. Can I claim? No, TuGo does not provide reimbursements if a future credit is accepted.
  • I booked my flight on points and I have to pay a change fee to reschedule my flight. Can I claim for the change fee? Yes, the change fee is covered.
My flight to, within, or from the US was cancelled by the airline. Can I claim with TuGo?

The US Dept of Transportation requires that all US and foreign airlines with flights travelling to, within or from the US provide a refund to travellers when the airline cancels the flight.

For example, if you have a flight to New York with Air Canada, and the airline cancels the flight, you’re entitled to a full refund on their airfare.

These expenses aren’t covered under our policy since they are refundable by the airline. TuGo’s Trip Cancellation & Interruption Insurance covers non-refundable pre-paid travel costs.

  • Since you’re entitled to refunds when these flights are cancelled by the airlines, you must contact the airline directly.
  • Unfortunately, not all airlines are following these obligations, so you may have to escalate a complaint with your carrier.
My flight to, within, or from countries in the European Union (EU) was cancelled. Can I claim with TuGo?

The European Commission requires that any airline with flights travelling within or scheduled to leave Europe to provide a refund to travellers when the airline cancels the flight. For cancelled flights into Europe, refunds are available for all European airlines. This applies to EU member countries and the non-EU members that are part of the Schengen zone (Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland).

For example, if you have a flight from Montreal to Paris with Air France, and the airline cancels the flight, you’re entitled to a refund on your airfare. But if you had booked the flight with Air Canada and that flight was cancelled, Air Canada is not required to issue a refund under the EU’s Air Passenger Rights, although they might choose to do so. If the airline does not issue a refund, you may then claim for the non-refundable expenses.

Most of these expenses aren’t covered under our policy since they are refundable by the airline. TuGo’s Trip Cancellation & Interruption Insurance covers non-refundable pre-paid travel costs.

  • Since you’re entitled to refunds when these flights are cancelled by the airlines, you must contact the airline directly.
  • Unfortunately, not all airlines are following these obligations, so you may have to escalate a complaint with your carrier.

General Claims

How long will it take to process my claim?

Since every claim is different, we work with a number of different providers to resolve your claim. The more parties involved, the longer it could take. However, know that we’re committed to processing your claim as quickly as possible!

On your behalf, we’ll coordinate with:

  • Your attending physician (when the emergency happened)
  • Your family doctor (at home)
  • Other providers (i.e., chiropractors, dentists, etc.)
  • Travel/transportation providers
  • Your car insurance provider
How can I help speed up this process?

Great question! Here are some tips to help expedite the process:

  • We recommend submitting your claim forms to us within 60 days from the day you were treated
  • Make sure you provide all itemized bills and receipts including:
    • Your full name
    • Date(s) of service
    • Amount charged
    • Type of service/diagnosis
    • Prescriptions with the itemized pharmacy-issued prescription receipt, not the till or credit card receipt
  • Make sure you’ve signed all required documents
Why are there so many forms?

No one likes paperwork… but we need some important details in order to get your claim processed. But we’ll help get you the necessary forms, so you don’t have to track it all down yourself.

On your behalf, we coordinate with a number of parties and each one has its own requirements:

  • The policy Underwriter requires your completed claim form to confirm the claim has been submitted. The decision to pay or decline your claim will be based in part on this information.
  • Provincial Healthcare plans require certain forms to be completed and returned to them. Completing and returning these forms helps expedite the process.
  • Other Insurers (employment/retirement/other healthcare plans, credit card companies, etc.) require an Assignment of Payment. By coordinating with these insurers to whom a premium may already have been paid, we ensure your travel insurance premiums remain low.
Do I need to fill out each form that’s sent to me?

Yes. Each form must be completed in full, regardless of the amount of your claim. Incomplete information may result in a delay.

Can I submit a copy, instead of an original bill?

Originals are preferred, but copies will be accepted in most cases. If originals are required, we’ll let you know, but sending originals up front may help avoid delays down the road, If you send us the originals, we suggest you keep a copy for your records since the originals will not be returned.

What if my bills are in a foreign language?

Don't worry; we’ll translate them for you! All you have to do is provide all the documents/receipts you have. However, if you wish to translate them before sending them in, feel free to do so.

How long do I have to send in all my forms? What is the deadline?
  • While you have up to one year from the day of treatment/loss, we suggest that forms be sent within 60 days. Provincial healthcare plans have tight deadlines for submitting claims. Since we coordinate with these plans on your behalf, if we don’t receive your forms within 60 days of the treatment/loss, your reimbursement could be impacted.
  • You have up to one year after the treatment/loss date to submit all your forms and other paperwork to us. After that, your claim is permanently closed.
What should I do if I receive a bill/statement after I've submitted my claim forms?

Many US medical providers send automatic statements every 30 days to you, without informing us. If you receive any additional bills/statements showing an outstanding balance, just let us know. We’ll resolve this issue on your behalf.

Who signs the Medical Authority section, and why?
  • If you’re making the claim, you’ll need to sign this section.
  • For minors, the legal guardian must sign this section.
  • If you’re signing on behalf of the traveller, you'll need to include a copy of the Power of Attorney, to show you’re legally authorized to do so.
  • This Authority is needed to request your medical information in order to fairly and accurately evaluate your claim.
  • To coordinate with provincial healthcare plans, the Ministry also requires this Authority.
  • If this section isn’t signed, it will delay the processing of your claim.
Why do you need my employer/retirement/other insurance information?
  • In order to keep travel insurance premiums as low as possible, it’s necessary to share the cost of your claim with other insurers to which a premium has already been paid.
  • Employers often provide extended health benefits to employees and these benefits often continue into retirement. Since travel insurance supplements your other insurance coverages, you’ll need to share this information with us to process your claim.
  • If you (or your spouse) don’t have extended healthcare, or benefits available through another travel insurance plan, travel supplier or credit card, you must sign to acknowledge this.
Who needs to complete the Assignment of Payment section?

You’ll need to complete it, if you have other insurance through a group benefits plan, credit card, etc. However, if your spouse is the primary policyholder, he/she will need to sign it.

Do I need to complete the Out-of-Country Claim Form for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) of BC?

If you’re a BC resident, and were hospitalized overnight outside the province, MSP requires this additional form. You’ll only need to complete Section A, and we’ll complete the rest for you.

My claim was denied, what can I do?

You have the right to dispute you claim denial. For more information on the Complaint process, click here.

TuGo Telemedicine Service

What is TuGo Telemedicine?

If you aren’t feeling well and would like to seek medical advice, but don’t think a clinic or hospital visit is necessary, you can access our telemedicine service instead, 24/7. Simply call toll-free 1-866-419-9038 and within 1 hour, you’ll be connected with an experienced,certified physician.

If I use TuGo Telemedicine service, will I need to a submit a claim?

No, using our telemedicine service doesn’t require you to file a claim afterwards. And as an added perk, if you have a deductible on your travel insurance policy, it won’t apply to the call or any resulting prescription expenses.

What types of ailments can a telemedicine physician help me with?

Certified physicians can consult, recommend treatment and prescribe prescriptions for you, when you’re visiting the US, for common ailments including: 

  • Cold & Flu  
  • Pharyngitis  
  • Skin Infections  
  • Gastroenteritis  
  • Ear Infection  
  • Pink Eye  
  • Mild to moderate allergies   
  • Mild to moderate respiratory Infections  
  • Mild to moderate Urinary Tract Infection  
  • Sinusitis  
  • Sprains and Strains 

Still have questions? Feel free to contact us!

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience of our website.

If you continue, we’ll assume you’re happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. You can learn more about our use of cookies in our Terms of Service and our Privacy Policy.