Back to postings
Senior Backend Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Senior Manager
Location: Richmond, BC
Who we are
TuGo is one of Canada’s leading travel insurance providers and a Canada’s Best Managed Company Platinum Club member. At TuGo, we make travel easier and a better experience by connecting partners and products with travellers, offering what they want, when, where and how they want it.
TuGo is an engaged, empowered and effective community of people, working together to help make great travel-related experiences for our customers. At TuGo we strive to be valued, effective and trusted. These values are the same internally in how we work with each other and externally expressed as our brand, in how we support and engage with our customers.
Headquartered in BC, with almost 200 employees in offices across Canada, we’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our Richmond, BC team!
What you'll do
You’ll be working on a team that is responsible for all web, mobile, back-end software systems, integration pipes and various other digital properties for the organization. You will lead a group of talented engineers to work with stakeholders to create value for our customers and business. You will be collaborating closely with operational, development, and senior management teams.
- Design, build, test, deliver and maintain highly scalable and self-serve products, services, and APIs.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Analyze key metrics to drive improvements on the development team.
- Ability to coach and mentor others, with an eye on team productivity and helping others succeed.
- Build new features and fix bugs for software by writing user stories, conducting design reviews, writing code, and deep dive into code reviews.
- Research, test, and refine development processes and agile software engineering methodology.
- Build basic architecture of large sub-systems.
- Be forward thinking when building systems, including performance, observability, scalability and reliability.
- Share and present technical solutions and findings.
- Maintain coding standards, code quality, code organization, and automatization.
- Understand project management ideology.
- Troubleshoot and resolve production issues as part of Tier 2 Support.
- Achieve performance targets.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with team members and all other teams.
- Responsively and effectively handle issues.
- Look for ways to improve customer experience.
- Promote and model TuGo culture, values, and brand promise.
- Continuously build professional and technical expertise.
- Other duties as required.
What you'll bring
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 5+ years’ software development experience
- Previous development experience building synchronous and asynchronous microservices based API and event-based systems with focus on observability, scalability and resiliency
- Strong software engineering skills with Java and related frameworks such as REST APIs, Spring Boot, Kafka, Hibernate, Elastic Search, Gradle, NoSQL databases such as Mongo, Couchbase, Redis
- Experience designing, implementing and documenting open APIs
- Experience with AWS or other cloud technologies
- Experience securing applications end to end, familiar with security standards such as PCI, OAuth2, OpenID, SAML, or JWT Web Token
- Strong ability to analyze complex requirements and work within an agile team to design effective solutions
- Previous Scrum or Kanban training considered an asset
- Strong team player and positive contributor
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Able to consistently live our values of being valued, effective and trusted
- A strong customer experience focus
- A passion for continuous learning and professional achievement
- Successful completion of a criminal record check
Apply to TuGo
If you’re passionate about providing better customer experiences, and this position fits your career plan, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Back to postings