Back to postings
Engineering Team Lead
Reports to: Engineering Senior Manager
Location: Richmond, BC
Who we are
TuGo is one of Canada’s leading travel insurance providers and a Canada’s Best Managed Company Platinum Club member. At TuGo, we make travel easier and a better experience by connecting partners and products with travellers, offering what they want, when, where and how they want it.
TuGo is an engaged, empowered and effective community of people, working together to help make great travel-related experiences for our customers. At TuGo we strive to be valued, effective and trusted. These values are the same internally in how we work with each other and externally expressed as our brand, in how we support and engage with our customers.
Headquartered in BC, with almost 200 employees in offices across Canada, we’re looking for an Engineering Team Lead to join our Richmond, BC team!
What you'll do
You’ll be working on a team that is responsible for all web, mobile, back-end software systems, integration pipes and various other digital properties for the organization. You will lead and mentor a group of talented engineers by developing new techniques, patterns, practices and tools to accelerate our impact and create value for our customers and business.
Specifically you will:
- Design, build, test, and deliver highly scalable and self-serve products.
- Oversee proposed solutions and ensure the implemented software meets business objectives and are sustainable and scalable.
- Analyze key metrics to drive improvements on the development team.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Dedicated to being a role model, coach and mentor to others, with an eye on team productivity and helping others succeed.
- Build new features and fix bugs for software by writing user stories, conducting design reviews, writing code, and deep dive into code review and ensure coding standards, code quality, code organization, and automatization are maintained.
- Research, test, and refine development processes and agile software engineering methodology.
- Manage sprints as scrum master and assign work to the development team.
- Part of a cross functional SRE team to ensure systems reliability.
- Work with Delivery Lead to coordinate and improve software delivery.
- Troubleshoot and resolve production issues as part of Tier 2 Support.
- Prepare and provide cost estimates and analysis, budgeting and resource utilization for all assigned new and ongoing projects
- Create a high performing, engaged team by effectively using performance management.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with all other teams.
- Responsively and effectively handle escalated issues.
- Optimize the customer experience throughout the department through innovation and improved processes.
- Promote and model TuGo culture, values, and brand promise.
- Promote a learning culture by supporting team learning opportunities and by building your own professional and technical expertise.
- Other duties as required.
What you'll bring
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 5+ years’ software development experience
- Experience with agile and test driven methodologies
- Previous systems level software development experience with highly complex, distributed systems product
- Expertise in latest Java enterprise technology: Java, Restful APIs, Spring Boot, Hibernate, CDI, Elastic Search, Gradle, Drools
- Strong experience in NoSQL and relational data modeling
- Familiar with a web framework such as Grails, Node.js, Meteor, Play, Bootstrap, Angular
- Familiar with architecture patterns such as Microservices, API gateway, Reactive, Event Driven/Storming and Messaging
- Experience developing REST based web service APIs, understand web semantics translation into a REST API
- Experience securing applications from API to data layer, security standards such as PCI, OAuth2, OpenID, SAML, JWT Web Token
- Knowledgeable in big data technologies such as Kafka, Couchbase, Mongo, Elastic Search, Akka, Hadoop, Spark
- Practical experience using GIT version control and SourceTree
- Experience with enterprise SaaS technologies such as: Zoho CRM, BI & Reporting, Agresso ERP, Shipstation, Content Management
- Previous Scrum or Kanban training considered an asset
- Experience performance tuning JVM based applications
- Familiar with cloud computing platforms Amazon, Azure
- Ability to work in a fast-paced organization where a sense of urgency is applied and where adapting to changes per the needs of our projects is necessary
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to collaborate effectively with stakeholders at all levels in the organization to achieve results
- Successful project planning and organization skills
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Able to consistently live our values of being valued, effective and trusted
- A passion for continuous learning and professional achievement
- Demonstrated ability to understand and lead a customer experience focus
- A passion for travel
- Successful completion of a criminal record check
Apply to TuGo
If you’re passionate about providing better customer experiences, and this position fits your career plan, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Back to postings